At Schultz Financial Group (SFG), we view wealth differently through our Four Capital approach. Our team works with you to build your wealth across Four Capitals – Financial Matters, Physical Well-being, Intellectual Engagement, and Psychological Space. This Physical Well-being article focuses on heart healthy recipes.
Are you looking for some heart healthy recipes for the summer? Here are some ideas that are easy, delicious, and most of all heart smart.
Why not start out with some caviar…Texas-style that is:
- 30 ounces canned, reduced-sodium black-eyed peas (drained, rinsed)
- 2 green onions (green part only and thinly sliced)
- 1 ear of corn (cut off cob) OR 1 cup fresh or frozen corn (thawed)
- 1 small bell pepper, yellow or red, seeded, stems discarded, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 3 fresh jalapeño peppers (seeded, diced)
- 2 cups tomatoes (diced) OR 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes
- 3 clove fresh garlic (minced) OR 3 teaspoons jarred, minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground Black pepper (to taste)
- In a medium bowl, combine the black-eyed peas, green onions, corn, bell pepper, cilantro, jalapenos, tomatoes, and garlic.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, zest, and cumin. Pour over vegetables, add salt and pepper and toss together until vegetables are coated completely oil blend. Best if chilled for 2-3 hours.
- Serve as a side dish or with whole grain pita chips.
This recipe is so good because you combine fruit and vegetables in the same salad!
Heart Healthy Blueberry Spinach Salad
- 4 cups spinach or other favorite greens (feel free to chop, if preferred)
- 1/2 to 1 apple, thinly sliced or diced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup blueberries
- 3 to 4 tablespoons walnut pieces/halves or other favorite nut/seed
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup red cabbage (optional)
- 4 teaspoons of flavored balsamic vinegar or favorite vinaigrette
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of crumbled feta cheese or other favorite crumbled cheese like goat or blue cheese
- Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss with balsamic vinegar or other favorite vinaigrette.
- Divide into two salads and add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Main course option:
Yogurt–Marinated Chicken Kebabs
- 1/2 c. plain yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 c. couscous
- 2 red peppers, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp. oil, plus more for the grill
- 1/4 c. fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 2 oz. crumbled feta cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic, ginger, curry powder, ground cloves, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add the chicken and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Place the couscous in a large bowl, add 1 1/4 cups hot water, cover and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Thread the chicken and peppers onto skewers. Lightly oil the grill and cook the kebabs, turning occasionally, until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork and fold in the oil, the remaining tablespoon lemon juice, then the mint, and feta. Serve with the kebabs.
No dinner is complete without dessert and summer is the perfect time for fresh fruit!
Strawberries Dipped in Dark Chocolate
- 2 ounces of high-quality dark chocolate
- 12 strawberries
- Microwave chocolate in a small bowl on Medium for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on Medium in 20-second intervals until melted, stirring after each interval. Or place in the top of a double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water. Stir until melted.
- Dip strawberries in the melted chocolate and set on wax paper to harden.
Click here for more heart healthy recipes!
Schultz Financial Group Inc. (SFG) is a wealth management firm located in Reno, NV. Our approach to wealth management is different from many other wealth managers, financial advisors, and financial planners. Our team of fee-only fiduciaries strives to help our clients build their wealth across four capitals: Financial Matters, Physical Well-being, Psychological Space, and Intellectual Engagement. We provide family office and wealth management services to clients located in Nevada, California, and other states. If you’d like more information, please check out our website or reach out to us via our contact page.